Quest Diagnostics Incorporated (NYSE: DGX) is a United States corporation which provides clinical laboratory services. The company has operations in the United States, United Kingdom, Mexico and through its wholly-owned subsidiary Quest Diagnostics India Pvt. Ltd, a laboratory in India in addition to service locations located in Brazil. Quest Diagnostics also has collaborative agreements internationally with various hospitals and clinics. Quest Diagnostics also has operations in the US Territory of Puerto Rico.
Quest Diagnostics is a member of the Fortune 500 and the S&P 500. The company's corporate headquarters were previously located in Teterboro, New Jersey where the largest business unit is located. Currently, the corporate headquarters are located in Madison, New Jersey having moved there in October 2007 from Lyndhurst, New Jersey.
- 1967: Founded by Paul A. Brown, MD as Metropolitan Pathology Laboratory, Inc., in New York.
- 1969: Name Changed to MetPath, Inc., in Teaneck, New Jersey.
- 1982: MetPath was acquired by what was then known as Corning Glass Works, and subsequently renamed Corning Clinical Laboratories.
- 1997: Quest Diagnostics becomes an independent company as a spin-off from Corning.
- 1997: Acquires clinical laboratory division of Branford, CT-based Diagnostic Medical Laboratory, Inc. (DML).
- 1999: Acquires SmithKline Beecham Clinical Laboratories; GlaxoSmithKline still holds a large portion of Quest Diagnostics stock. The SmithKline Beecham acquisition includes a joint venture ownership with CompuNet Clinical Laboratory
- 2000: Launch of Six Sigma program leading the charge to raise the quality of healthcare delivery in the United States.
- 2001: Completes acquisition of Ohio-based MedPlus, Inc. (NASDAQ: MEDP), a healthcare technology company.
- 2002: Completes acquisition of Virginia-based American Medical Laboratories, Inc. (AML) and an affiliated company of AML, LabPortal, Inc., for approximately $500 million in cash.
- 2003: Completes acquisition of California-based Unilab Corporation (NASDAQ: ULAB) in a transaction valued at approximately $800 million .
- 2005: Completes acquisition of Kansas-based LabOne, Inc. (NASDAQ: LABS) for approximately $934 million.
- 2006: Completes acquisition of Virginia-based Focus Diagnostics, Inc., an infectious and immunologic disease laboratory, for approximately $185 million in cash.
- 2007: Quest Diagnostics celebrates its 10th year after being spun off from Corning.
- 2007: Completes acquisition of Sweden-based Hemocue, a point-of-care diagnostic testing company.
- 2007: Acquires AmeriPath, becoming the leading provider of cancer diagnostic testing services.
- 2010: Laid off 70 percent of processor's in Lenexa and have cut costs and employee overtime due to decline of clients, poor sales and poor managment.
- ↑ 2/20/2008 News Release: Birla Sun Life Insurance Names Quest Diagnostics its Exclusive Provider of Health Assessment Services in India.
- ↑ Quest Diagnostics: Our Growing International Presence
- ↑ Quest Diagnostics: International Facilities & Operations
- ↑ 10/24/2007 News Release: Quest Diagnostics Reports Third Quarter Results. Note new location of press release
- ↑ Quest Diagnostics Acquires Assets Of Diagnostics Medical Laboratory Inc.